TECHNEGASTM is an ultra-fine dispersion of Technetium-labelled carbon, produced by heating Technetium-99m in a carbon crucible for a few seconds at 2,750 degrees Celsius1. The resultant gas-like TECHNEGASTM, thus produced in a Technegas generator, is a dispersion of nanosized (average size 30-60nm) pure carbon platelets of hexagonal shape fully encapsulating Technetium metal crystals2. The small size and hydrophobic properties together confirm ideal characteristics for gas-like behaviour and alveoli deposition into the lungs2-3. TECHNEGASTM penetrates to the sub-segmental areas of the lung and is trapped by surfactant in the alveolar walls4.
Once inhaled by the patient suspected of having a pulmonary embolism (PE), the patient is then imaged under a gamma camera in the ventilation part of a ventilation/perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography (V/Q SPECT) scan3. Generated into a mobile generator, TECHNEGASTM, used in the ventilation part of the V/Q scan, is cost-effective, simple to perform and accurate5.
Access our regional websites to discover more about our products
- Fawdry RM, et al. Initial experience with Technegas – a new ventilation agent. Australas Radiol 1988; 32(2): 232-238
- Senden TJ, et al. The physical and chemical nature of Technegas. J Nucl Med 1997; 38: 1327-1333
- Roach PJ, Schembri GP and Bailey DL. V/Q scanning using SPECT and SPECT/CT. J Nucl Med 2013; 54: 1588-1596
- Mortensen J and Gutte H. SPECT/CT and pulmonary embolism. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2014; 41(Suppl1): 81-90
- Roach PJ, Bailey DL, Harris BE. Enhancing lung scintigraphy with single-photon emission computed tomography. Semin Nucl Med 2008; 38: 441–449
Pending market authorisation
Ultralute is a revolutionary innovation that allows Nuclear Medicine departments to increase the productivity of their Tc-99m generator. It does this by allowing you to elute any amount of activity in approximately 2ml. By increasing the concentration of Tc-99m from an elution, the decay profile and the growth of Tc-99m from a Mo-99m/Tc 99m generator can be better utilised.